The Glory-torium is now open in the basement of this blog, check your cynicism at the door. Knock three times and give the doorman the secret words, "In Phil Rose We Trust".

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Gloritorium

Phil Jackson Leon Rose: "We'd like Melo to 'have success somewhere'"


Saturday, August 11, 2007

Stardust Review

I went to see Neil Gaiman's Stardust movie and I have to say I thought it was largely a bore. A lot of the small audience got into the movie a lot more than I did but I don't really know why.

This film reminds me of Hook in far too many ways. The love story, if you would call it that, is simply devoid of emotional attachment at all. And while the performances are good, I am beginning to think that the shear volume of noise these movies produce creates an artificial suspense that the movie and plot never deliver.

In fact, after seeing Stardust, I wonder what older films might be like ultra-amplified with endless staccato strings driving the score with deep swoosh and bang effects every other minute punctuating dreary special effects scenes.

If they can colorize old film, why not reaudify them as well?

I got much greater satisfaction out of renting The United States vs John Lennon.


I had forgotten how much we've missed Lennon all these years.

No comments:

Necessities

Ye Newe Glory-torium

Here, dear readers, is the final resting place of all weary Knicks fans. Yes, here is where one comes when the Triangle refuses to have three sides, when biting one's lip from losing to win later is one loss too far,or when said fan simply hits 'rock' bottom. In short, "the ship be" eternally "sinking" here. Welcome aboard, rearrange the deck chairs as you please.